Nearly three dozen institutions from 11 countries were added this past quarter to our roster of CUDA Research Centers and CUDA Teaching Centers, bringing the total to 273 in 42 nations.
Work being done there includes three-dimensional genome sequencing for cancer research, graphics and numeric programming, and design of programming and runtime systems for heterogeneous nodes and clusters.
CUDA Teaching Centers — of which there are 18 new ones — equip tens of thousands of students graduating each year with the knowledge and expertise to take advantage of the parallel processing power of GPUs (see “What Is CUDA?”). They get free teaching kits, textbooks, software licenses, NVIDIA CUDA architecture-enabled GPUs for teaching lab computers and academic discounts for additional hardware.
CUDA Research Centers – of which there are 17 new ones — embrace GPU computing across multiple research fields. They have access to exclusive events with key researchers and academics, a designated NVIDIA technical liaison and specialized training sessions.
Here are some examples of CUDA-related work taking place at some of our newest CUDA Research Centers:
The CUDA Research Center at Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo supports a diverse range of applied research activities that benefit from CUDA technology. Research applications include ocean modeling, computational bioinformatics, cyber-security and parallel computing education. These research efforts have resulted in several papers, and have allowed undergraduate and graduate students in computer science to collaborate with faculty and students in other disciplines. Interdisciplinary, GPU-centric research is enabling better science through improved scale and resolution, which in turn provides excellent teaching opportunities for applied parallel computing.
The CFD team in the Department of Mathematics, Center for Mathematics and their Applications develops numerical methods dedicated to GPU-computing for general fluid dynamics. Research focuses on real time visualization and human interaction and on challenging industrial problems involving complex multiphase flow applications.
Research undertaken by the Research Computing and Cyberinfrastructure (RCC) Unit at Penn State is largely dictated by the needs of its various schools, including the Eberly College of Science, the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, and the College of Engineering. These needs fall into categories such as quantum physics and chemistry, classical molecular dynamics, and computational engineering.
The Turkish Air Force Academy was awarded the National Support Program Grant by the Turkish Scientific and Technological Research Council (TUBITAK 1001 #112E281)to study how GPUs can be used in Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. This study aims to produce a solution for the re-calculation of dynamic vector fields by developing parallel algorithms which will be computed on NVIDIA CUDA-accelerated GPUs.
Additional new CUDA Research Centers include:
- Applied Technology Operation at SURVICE Engineering Company (U.S.)
- Duke University (U.S.)
- KTH Royal Institute of Technology & Stockholm University (Germany)
- MS Ramaiah Institute of Technology, Bangalore (India)
- National Centre for Radio Astrophysics (TIFR) (India)
- Providence University (U.S.)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (U.S.)
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (India)
- Stevens Institute of Technology (U.S.)
- Universidad Industrial de Santander (Columbia)
- Università degli Studi di Torino (Italy)
- Universität Bielefeld (Germany)
- University of Washington – Seattle (U.S.)
The new CUDA Teaching Centers include:
- B V Bhoomaraddi College of Engineering & Technology, Hubli (India)
- Belarusian State University of Informatics and Radioelectronics (Belarus)
- Eckerd College (U.S.)
- Huazhong University of Science and Technology (China)
- Illinois Institute of Technology (U.S.)
- Istanbul Technical University (Turkey)
- Lanzhou University (China)
- Newcastle University (UK)
- Portland State University (U.S.)
- San Diego Supercomputer Center (U.S.)
- Santa Clara University (U.S.)
- South China University of Technology (China)
- The Army Institute of Technology, Pune (India)
- Universidade Estadual do Centro-Oeste (UNICENTRO) (Brazil)
- Universität Duisburg-Essen (Germany)
- University of Alabama, Huntsville (U.S.)
- University of Washington (U.S.)
- Wright State University (U.S.)