Six months after SolidWorks joined us on stage at the GPU Technology Conference to announce our collaboration on NVIDIA GRID GPU virtualization, we’ve reached a watershed for the design industry.
Specifically, SolidWorks has certified the NVIDIA GRID Visual Computing Appliance (VCA) — our turnkey GPU virtualization offering for small and midsize businesses — for their upcoming release of SolidWorks 2014.
GRID VCA combines our GRID GPUs and software to allow workgroups on a LAN to remotely run GPU-accelerated Windows applications on any Mac, Linux or Windows computer.
Here are five reasons why SolidWorks 2014 on GRID VCA is a game-changer for designers and the firms that employ them:
1) In an age of bringing your own devices to work, GRID VCA allows businesses to standardize the use of SolidWorks 2014 across users. It doesn’t matter if they have a PC or Mac, if the computer is aging or if it’s a low-end machine — because they’re all receiving the same high performance SolidWorks 2014, virtually.
2) GRID VCA combines the unparalleled performance and capabilities of Quadro-class professional graphics with the flexibility of network delivery to give SolidWorks 2014 users a serious productivity boost. Whether employees or contractors, people can quickly access SolidWorks 2014.
3) Using SolidWorks 2014 on GRID VCA eliminates performance trade-offs thanks to Quadro-class graphics. Every user can now interact with complex 3D CAD models that include the highest quality designs and images, such as FSAA, interactive rendering and advanced shadows.
4) Businesses can better manage costs while increasing access to SolidWorks. Companies deploying GRID VCA can maintain a single appliance instead of multiple workstations and reduce their spending on CAD workstation support, including deployment, service packs and upgrades. Simultaneously, casual users who previously might not have had a sufficiently powerful system can now gain full, high-performance access to SolidWorks 2014. And they can work from wherever they have a connection.
5) Intellectual property can be critical to a business’s success. Using SolidWorks on GRID VCA increases security by protecting IP across the machines of employees and contractors. BYOD isn’t a problem because the designs and data remain in the data center.
GRID VCA represents a new approach to delivering high-performance, GPU-accelerated applications over the network, and the excitement for it is rippling through the design and engineering communities.
Authorized resellers specializing in VCA for SolidWorks in North America are CADDEdge, CADimensions, Fisher/Unitek, GoEngineer, Hawk Ridge Systems and MLC CAD Systems. For more information about a reseller near you, go to http://www.nvidia.com/object/visual-computing-appliance-wtb.html.
Find out more about NVIDIA GRID VCA at http://www.nvidia.com/object/visual-computing-solidworks.html, and follow us on Twitter at @NVIDIAGRID.