Healthy Hearts Among Pursuits of 27 New CUDA Research and Teaching Centers
Sometimes the best way to understand a problem afflicting a human heart is to use another organ: the human eye.
Researchers at the Servier Virtual Cardiac Center (SVCC) at the Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute are using GPUs to build an advanced visualization lab for cardiac imagery that uses GPUs to help show the heart in three dimensions.
While doctors view images of the heart on two-dimensional screens, the tools used to capture data about the heart – such as computerized tomography scans – capture data in three dimensions.
GPUs promise to help doctors and patients better visualize that data. Making it easier to view the heart from different angles – and watch it pump blood in and out of the heart – can help doctors better plan treatments, and patients better understand their disease.
SVCC was among the 27 institutions that were added this past quarter to our roster of CUDA Research Centers and CUDA Teaching Centers. There are now more than 336 CUDA Research and Teaching centers in 43 countries.
CUDA Teaching Centers equip tens of thousands of students graduating each year with the knowledge and expertise to take advantage of the parallel processing power of GPUs (see “What Is CUDA?”). They get free teaching kits, textbooks, software licenses, NVIDIA CUDA architecture-enabled GPUs for teaching lab computers and academic discounts for additional hardware.
CUDA Research Centers embrace GPU computing across multiple research fields. They have access to exclusive events with key researchers and academics, a designated NVIDIA technical liaison and specialized training sessions.
Here are a few more examples of CUDA-related work taking place at some of our newest CUDA Research Centers:
Additional New CUDA Research Centers:
- Bilkent University (Turkey)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences, Qingdao Institute of Bioenergy and Bioprocess Technology (China)
- École Centrale Paris, France (France)
- Freie Universität Berlin (Germany)
- T.C. Okan University (Turkey)
- The University of Manchester (UK)
- Tunghai University (Taiwan)
- University of Alberta, Mazankowski Alberta Heart Institute (Canada)
- University of Alicante (Spain)
- University of North Carolina at Charlotte (US)
- University of South Florida (US)
New CUDA Teaching Centers:
- AMA University (Philippines)
- Amrutvahini College of Engineering Sangmner (India)
- Goa College of Engineering (India)
- Institute of Information Technology, Roorkee (India)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Engineering College, Aurangabad (India)
- National Institute of Technology (India)
- National University of Science and Technology (Pakistan)
- Ruhr-University Bochum (Germany)
- Southern Illinois University (US)
- Southwest Petroleum University (China)
- Sri Sathya Sai Institute of Higher Learning (India)
- T.C. Okan University (Turkey)
- University of Colorado at Colorado Springs (US)
- University of Guadalajara (Mexico)
- University of Texas at Tyler (US)
- Vidya Prathishtan’s Institute of Information Technology (India)
For more information on NVIDIA research activities and these programs, please visit the NVIDIA Research site.