SHIELD continues to set the standard for delivering product updates to consumers.
With our latest update, we’re delivering Android 6.0 Marshmallow to SHIELD Android TV. We’re also making it the first Android consumer platform to ship with support for the new-generation Vulkan graphics API.
Announced during CES last month, our latest over-the-air software upgrade, available now for SHIELD Android TV, brings Android 6.0 Marshmallow and a host of improvements and upgrades.
In addition to delivering Marshmallow to the living room, it also continues NVIDIA’s rollout of Vulkan drivers across multiple platforms, including Windows 7-10, Linux and now Android.
The Vulkan API provides highly efficient, low-level access to modern graphics hardware, such as the Maxwell GPU in SHIELD Android TV. Vulkan has been created by experts from across the industry working together at the Khronos Group — an open standards consortium.
Today, NVIDIA is equipping Android developers with fully conformant Vulkan drivers just one week after the specifications launched. In addition, Google has announced that Vulkan will be a core platform API in a future version of Android to drive new classes of interactive user experiences. More information is available on the Vulkan developer hub, where Vulkan Android samples can be downloaded.
The update that brings Android 6.0 Marshmallow also delivers much more:
- Upgradable storage and home screen customization
- Quick access to the power menu on the homescreen by long pressing the “Back” button
- Seamless switching between surround sound and headset audio in Netflix app
- Wireless support for SHIELD controller when charging via USB, including headset audio and voice search
- Improved color support for YUV 4:2:0 video playback
- Option to set 1080p 60Hz resolution on Ultra HD TVs
- Option to set RGB Full Range via Settings > HDMI > Dynamic Range
- Improved support for Denon receivers and CEC volume control for more audio receivers
Plus, all the new Android games now available — Real Racing 3, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Oddworld Munch’s Oddysee, Dead Effect 2, Minecraft Story Mode and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.
Gamers can also enjoy a number of Square Enix titles coming to GeForce NOW with Tomb Raider now available and Lara Croft and The Guardian of Light, Murdered: Soul Suspect, Sleeping Dogs and Quantum Conundrum coming soon.
Once again, the best gets better.