The most badass graphics card ever. Insane. A beautiful powerhouse. A dramatic leap forward. Crazy. The reaction to the launch of the GeForce GTX 1080 from the press has been surpassed only by the shocked reaction from fans when we launched our new flagship GPU earlier this month.
That was mass hysteria. The press, by contrast, have had a little time to think things over, rather than screaming at our CEO to “shut up and take my money,” as fans did during our launch event at DreamHack, in Austin, Texas.
Kind of a shock, considering everyone knew we would be introducing a new GPU, based on our Pascal architecture. Many even guessed — correctly — that we’d call it the GTX 1080. What no one outside NVIDIA knew — until the technical reviewers got this thing back to their labs — is the kind of performance it would unleash.
Now they do.
- PC World: “This beast is badass,” they wrote. “[T]he new GeForce GTX 1080 surges ahead by a whopping 70-plus percent in every game tested. That’s crazy. The entire time I was testing this monster, I felt like David Bowman at the end of 2001: A Space Odyssey, staring wide-eyed into a new world full of stars. Moving on from 28nm GPUs is every bit as wonderful as gamers had hoped, and the GTX 1080 is everything Nvidia promised and more.”
- Forbes: “[T]he GTX 1080 isn’t just an iterative improvement that makes you question whether or not the price-to-performance ratio justifies a purchase,” their review wrote. “It’s one hell of a part, and an astounding generational leap forward.”
- TweakTown: “NVIDIA has absolutely blown the doors off of the GPU game with the GeForce GTX 1080. This is the card you’ve been waiting for …”
- HardOCP: “It performs amazingly, it’s power efficient, there’s potential for higher clocks, and it is feature rich. And the GTX 1080 is not just a little faster than yesterday’s flagship GPUs, it is a lot faster.”
- Hot Hardware: “NVIDIA has essentially hit every bullet point hard-core gamers and enthusiasts consider. If you’re shopping for a high-end graphics card, the GeForce GTX 1080 is the one to get – bar none.”
- Polygon: “The Founder’s Edition of the GTX 1080 graphics card is just as beautiful on the outside as it is in its Pascal-powered guts. If you’re picking up a new card, this is the one you should buy.”
- Engadget: “After testing it out over the past week, I can say the 1080 is clearly something special. It’s not just an incremental upgrade for NVIDIA: It’s a dramatic leap forward.”
- PC Perspective: “[T]he GeForce GTX 1080 clearly sits alone at the top of the GPU world.”
- NeoSeeker: “The beast offers insane levels of performance, even when compared to cards that are at the top of the food chain of the previous generation. … Those who usually go for the latest and greatest will want this card.”
- Forbes: “The GTX 1080 is an absolutely amazing enthusiast GPU from virtually any angle you look at it.”
We think they like it. Got a few superlatives you’d like to share with us? Hit us with them in the comment box below.