So why haven’t you set up Plex DVR and Live TV with HDHomerun on SHIELD TV? Relatives in town? Understandable. Trapped under something heavy? Unlikely, but sure. It’s too complicated? Nope, that’s no longer an excuse. Why? Because we’ve got this handy quick guide to help you set everything up!
If you already use Plex DVR and Live TV, Plex’s latest update allows you to store metadata on external storage, freeing up space for apps and content on your SHIELD. Check out our simple instructions below. For you new users, let’s get started!
Step 1: Get everything you’ll need
- Plex Pass – If you’re a SHIELD Rewards member check your email for a free 3-month trial
- HDHomerun digital tuner – Duo or Quatro will get the job done
- Antenna – Go high quality for the best experience, click here for tips on which one to buy. Plex recommends antennas from Moho and HD Frequency
- SHIELD TV. Duh. Ideally with expanded storage for your shows. Learn how to increase your internal storage here. We highly recommend an Ethernet connection
Step 2: Set up Plex Media Server
- Make sure SHIELD and the Plex / Plex Media Server apps are all updated
- Open Plex app and link it to your Plex Pass Account from a web browser
- Follow on-screen instructions to set up Plex Media Server
- Open and select your SHIELD server, and follow on-screen instructions
Step 3: Enable DVR
- Set up the antenna of your choice
- Connect power, ethernet, and antenna to your HDHomerun tuner
- Visit Plex
- Settings > DVR > Set up Plex DVR
- Plex should automatically find your HDHomerun tuner
- Scan channels if you wish, your program guide will start downloading (this takes a while), once complete head back to your SHIELD
- Select Live TV to access Program Guide and Recording Schedule
Congratulations! You’ve now set up PLEX DVR and Live TV. Don’t forget with your new Plex Media Server you can stream video, music, and photo collections anytime, anywhere, to any device.
Wait there’s that update to store metadata on external storage, freeing up space for apps and content on your SHIELD.
For existing users, follow these simple steps
- Open the Plex App
- Go to Settings > Plex Media Server > Storage Options
- Change Storage Options to External Storage
More questions? Check out how-to videos by Greggles TV and support articles below
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV: How to Setup Plex DVR to Record Live TV
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV HDHomeRun Setup Watch Live TV
- NVIDIA SHIELD TV PLEX DVR Live TV Navigation